One great way to reduce your carbon footprint is by supporting sustainable clothing brands. Zero-waste aficionados only purchase new things when they really need them, and we can all agree that clothing is pretty darn necessary. As you peruse recycled clothing options online, it’s important that you know what you’re looking for. There are quite a few brands that do a great job to avoid making a harmful impact on our planet. If you know what fabrics are actually sustainable, that will help you navigate this even better. Let’s take a looksy at fabrics and brands to get your closet re-stocked with recycled materials.
There are a few ways to make fabrics that are friendly to the environment. The key factors here are that waste is minimized, harmful chemicals and synthetics are not created, and that the clothing items are made to last. Stick to threads made from:
- Organic cotton or wool
- Recycled or repurposed materials (like polyester)
- Pinatex (made from pineapple leaves!)
Super Cool Sustainable Clothing Brands
Now that you know the fabrics to look for, let’s shop. There are so many cool companies that are environmentally conscious, so we paired it down a bit to some favorites based on clothing type. Check ‘em:
- 1822 Denim for women’s sustainable pants: This company has styles for all women, no matter the shape or size. They have been in business since 2015 and continue to stick by sustainable manufacturing that provides women with good quality and affordable pants. Here you will find jeans, leggings, maternity options, AND they now are making tops as well.
- The Classic T-Shirt for sustainable t-shirts: Based in California, these handmade t-shirts are simple in all of the right ways. The founders of this business are a married couple whose eyes were opened to harmful manufacturing practices when they had a child. The Classic T-Shirt Company creates long-lasting t-shirts from organic cotton without using toxic chemicals, child slave labor, or creating excessive waste.
- ABLE for women’s sustainable bags & shoes: ABLE started out making handwoven scarves to provide Ethopian women in the commercial sex industry with jobs. They now make sustainable bags, clothes, shoes, and jewelry. Learn more about their efforts to protect the planet and support women here.
- swaggr for sustainable socks: swaggr makes comfy socks from recycled plastic bottles. These socks are specifically engineered to hug and support your feet where they should while minimizing the plastic that’s tossed into the ocean. Many like swaggr socks for activewear and hiking, but they’re also great for wearing everyday.
Follow Us for More Lifestyle Tips
The swaggr fam is always coming up with new and exciting offers to give zero-waste shoppers a treat. We also love to share new tips & tricks that we learn on our beautiful journey of growing a sustainable clothing company. Don’t follow us yet? What are you waiting for?! Click your favorite social platform and give us a follow today: